The Aegean College made its presence felt in the Poseidonia Exhibition that took place at the Metropolitan Expo in June 2018.
This year’s greatest shipping exhibition gathered more than 1920 exhibitors from 92 countries and 22.000 visitors, breaking all records in its 50-year-old history.
The Poseidonia Exhibition is held every two years and brings in about 62 million euros for the local businesses in the industry of hospitality, catering, organizing company events and transportation.
The exhibition was opened by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, in the presence of European officials, ministers of shipping from several countries, members of the Parliament, members of the Union of Greek Shipowners, exhibitors and visitors.
Poseidonia was sponsored by the Ministry of Shipping and Island Policy, the Union of Greek Shipowners and the Greek Chamber of Shipping, and supported by the Municipality of Piraeus and the Greek Committee of Shipping Cooperation of London.
The Aegean College presented two competitive courses of Shipping Studies- a bachelor and a master- which are offered in collaboration with Canterbury Christ Church University.
The professors of the courses Dr Ch.Patsiouras, Dr S.Tsiotis, G. Domvros, S. Spyrou, P. Pappas welcomed visitors at the college’s stand and informed them about the courses and the high standard of studying at the Aegean College.
Students of both the college and the IEK Omiros in the faculty of Economy and Administration in Shipping also attended the exhibition.
They all had the chance to meet representatives of big shipping companies, to collect information and realize they are part of a pioneer educational institution with a very powerful presence in the shipping sector.
- Subjects are taught by distinguished professors (PhD holders and graduates of masters in Shipping) and experienced professionals in the shipping job market, like captains and executives.
- The Aegean College is developing strong bonds with the people of shipping and holds important events like the 1st Shipping Convention in Piraeus.
- Within the scope of their studies the students visit shipping businesses as well as merchant and cruise ships in Piraeus.
- Students participate in Career Days and other events held in the college premises so as to directly contact several shipping companies.
- The Aegean College maintains an active and innovating academic community through its Aegean Research Centre.
- The College has modern laboratories, a library and classrooms equipped with all the required teaching tools.
- Students have access to the course material and communicate with their teachers through an educational Portal(e-college).
- They also have access to the electronic library of the cooperating university, which provides them with thousands of e-books and scientific journals, as well as to the shipping data base Clarksons.
- The Aegean College offers students free lessons of the English language and of other languages used in the international shipping sector.