Aegean College offers a postgraduate degree in Human Nutrition (with streams) in collaboration with University of Essex.
The programme is consisted of 6 streams:
The philosophy of the MSc in Human Nutrition (with streams) is to combine an evidence-based, research-minded approach with the principles of lifelong learning.
Upon completion, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding, in-depth knowledge and safe, autonomous application of nutrition science theory underpinning current issues of the clinical, sports and public health fields, obesity-eating behaviour or paediatric nutrition related disorders and genetics.
- Practice within complex contexts, through identifying, critically selecting and applying theoretical knowledge and research to assessment, treatment and ongoing evaluation and management of patients with related conditions.
- Demonstrate originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established techniques of research are used to create and interpret knowledge in the discipline.
- Critically evaluate current research and methodologies and propose new hypotheses.
- Demonstrate critical reflection and clinical reasoning skills and assimilate feedback from others to analyse own capabilities and evaluate quality of their own performance and impact on others, as a foundation for continuous professional development and lifelong learning.
- The programme is offered in collaboration with the University of Essex, ‘University of the Year‘ at the Times Higher Education Awards 2018.
- Essex is among the top 25 institutions in the UK for the quality of research.
- Essex is ranked 56th in the Times Higher Education Awards 2023 global rankings.
- Membership in the Journal Clubs of the programme.
- Flexible programme aimed to professionals.
- Top level academic staff, PhD holders and experienced professionals.
- Focus on the evidence-based practice.
- State-of-the-art laboratories.
- Open days and career development events.
- Personal development planning tailored to every student.
The MSc Human Nutrition is a postgraduate programme, offering 6 specialty streams to students. To be awarded the MSc Human Nutrition in a particular stream, students will be required to complete 8 modules, separated into 3 phases, 6 of which are common to all streams and 2 related to their areas of expertise. Of those modules, 7 will be 20-credit modules and the last one will be the Human Nutrition Research project which is a 40-credit annual core module in Stage 3 of the programme. The total number of credits for the programme is 180 (90 ECTS).
In Stage 1 of the programme, students will gain a systematic understanding of the science pertaining nutrition, epidemiology and psychology.
In Stage 2 of the programme students will get an in-depth understanding of each stream.
In Stage 3 of the programme, the module Research methodology (20 credits) will help students justify and appropriately select methods of appropriate data collection and analysis.
A fully equipped dietetic laboratory is available for students acting as a simulation area for assessment, counselling techniques and modalities. Students will also have the opportunity to use assessment equipment, as well as to perform counselling sessions amongst themselves.
The Dietetics department utilizes the Dietetic Laboratory for clinical simulation learning with facilities that include, among others: Stadiometers, Scales, Measuring tapes, Bioelectrical impedance, Ergospirometers, Skeletons and set of bones / spines, Food models, Skinfold calliper, etc.
Furthermore, the computing laboratory is fully equipped with computers and appropriate software for statistical processing (i.e.: Statistical Package for Social Sciences).
Lastly, BioSensors SmartLab was added in the resources available to students and academics of Aegean College late in 2021 in collaboration with iMotions. Its main aim is to facilitate research in different areas such as Psychology, Education, Artificial Intelligence, Health Sciences, Business Management & Neuromarketing, Neuroscience and more. It will continue to add in the community and academia as an innovative and contemporary research lab by promoting contemporary scientific expertise.
Graduates of this programme can work in:
- rehabilitation centers,
- assisted living facilities, etc.