The Schools of Health and Human Sciences of Aegean College offer an undergraduate programme of high calibre in the science of physical activity and sport, leading to the BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science*.
The degree is awarded by the UK University, St Mary’s University, Twickenham, London.
Recent scientific developments within sport performance and physical activity, have created the need for well-trained, specialised professionals. The programme promotes the required in-depth understanding of the science of sport, by combining theoretical with applied teaching, in the field and within specialised laboratories.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be well-equipped with the knowledge and skills to be able to work at high intensity in demanding sport-related fields and industries. The curriculum is designed based on the specifications of The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences-(BASES) and can combine sport science with that of physical education pedagogy within the programme.
Through lectures, laboratories, field exercises, seminars, workshops and case studies students will:
• Acquire the knowledge and skills required to seek a career in the sports industry.
• Develop critical thinking in sport and exercise science and their application to performance appraisal and improvement.
• Be able to manage the physical activity of individuals belonging to distinct populations.
• Contribute to the promotion of lifelong exercise and cultivate the sporting idea as a key component of a quality life.
Students, if they choose, will also have the opportunity to carry out a work placement within the field of their interest-specialisation. Supervision is carried out by specially trained and experienced professionals in the chosen field, overseen by College lecturers within the department.
*subject to validation.
- This degree is awarded by St Mary’s, Twickenham, London, which is a university with an outstanding reputation in sport training, as illustrated by its high calibre partnership with the academy of the famous Chelsea FC football team in London.
- Modules cover a wide range of subjects so that students can gain an in-depth understanding of the parameters involved in athletic performance and means to improve it as sport science professionals.
- The programme meets the requirements as set by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Scientists (BASES) and faculty members of St Mary’s, Twickenham, London are active professionals in the organisation.
- The structure of the programme – both in terms of knowledge and skills gained- is such that it is an important step for a successful career in a wide range of sport-related fields and industries.
It is a three-year programme offering students the following academic routes:
- Physiology Of Exercise.
- Sport Psychology.
- Applied Sports Education.
Please note: it is possible that a module listed on the website will not be able to run due to reasons beyond our control.
As a Sport and Exercise Science graduate, you will be highly sought after by employers in a rapidly growing market place both nationally and globally. Sport and Exercise Science students are in increasing demand and our students have gone into many different careers in this new period of professionalism within sport.
These areas of employment includes:
- Exercise physiologists.
- Sports psychologists.
- PE teaching.
- Sports development officers.
- Health physiologists.
- Personal trainers.
- Graduate training schemes (including companies unrelated to sport).