Aegean College has included in its portfolio a dedicated program, the MSc in Sustainable International Tourism, which serves as a focused initiative to address the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) according to the following:
- Focus on Sustainable Tourism (SDG 8, SDG 12, SDG 14, SDG 15): The MSc in Sustainable International Tourism is explicitly designed to address sustainability within the tourism sector, aligning with multiple SDGs. SDG 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth), SDG 12 (Responsible Consumption and Production), SDG 14 (Life Below Water), and SDG 15 (Life on Land) are directly impacted by the program’s emphasis on sustainable tourism practices.
- Integration of Environmental and Social Sustainability (SDG 13, SDG 10): The program incorporates principles of environmental sustainability (SDG 13 – Climate Action) and social sustainability (SDG 10 – Reduced Inequalities). Students are educated on minimizing the environmental footprint of tourism activities and promoting fair and inclusive practices within the industry.
- Community Engagement and Responsible Tourism (SDG 1, SDG 11): The MSc program addresses SDG 1 (No Poverty) and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities) through a focus on responsible tourism. Initiatives within the program encourage community engagement, economic benefits for local populations, and the development of sustainable tourism destinations.
- Ethical and Inclusive Tourism Practices (SDG 16, SDG 5): The program contributes to SDG 16 (Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions) by promoting ethical tourism practices. Additionally, it aligns with SDG 5 (Gender Equality) by encouraging inclusive tourism initiatives that empower women and marginalized communities.
- Research and Innovation (SDG 9): The MSc program supports SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure) by fostering research and innovation within the sustainable tourism sector. Students are encouraged to explore and propose innovative solutions that contribute to the advancement of sustainable tourism practices.
- Cross-disciplinary Approach (SDG 17): The program adopts a cross-disciplinary approach, linking to SDG 17 (Partnerships for the Goals). Collaboration with various stakeholders, including industry partners, governmental bodies, and local communities, is emphasized to create a collective impact on sustainable development.
- Education and Capacity Building (SDG 4): The MSc program contributes to SDG 4 (Quality Education) by providing students with a high-quality education that equips them with the knowledge and skills needed to address sustainability challenges in the tourism industry.
- Monitoring and Evaluation (SDG 17): The program includes mechanisms for monitoring and evaluating the impact of sustainable tourism practices, aligning with SDG 17. This approach ensures continuous improvement and accountability in the pursuit of sustainable development goals.
The MSc in Sustainable International Tourism at Aegean College is a dedicated program that addresses various SDGs directly and indirectly. Through its curriculum, research initiatives, and emphasis on responsible tourism practices, the program contributes to the global efforts to achieve sustainable development within the tourism sector.