Aegean College Allied Health offers the best by far midwifery undergraduate programme in Greece in collaboration with Coventry University, UK leading to a BSc (Hons) Midwifery (Applied) degree.
The four year programme is accredited by the Athens Association of Scientists-Midwives (SEMMA) and is based on the 36/2005 European directive and to all applicable laws.
The programme covers all theoretical and applied aspects of midwifery and provides students with all the necessary knowledge and skills for their future careers.
The course features 2800 hours of classroom education and 2000 hours of laboratory and clinical practice. Theory is taught by active midwives and SEMMA members as well as from scientists from different backgrounds (Obstetricians, Psychologists, Dietitians, etc.). Academic staff is chosen on the basis of their academic qualifications, research work and field experience.
Clinical Placement is supervised and evaluated by mentors most of them members of the Association of Scientists Midwives (SEMMA) and takes place in public and private maternity clinics and hospitals such as Rea, Iaso, “Elena Venizelou, “Alexandra”, and “Eutokia”.
During the placement students are trained in clinical departments such as:
- Obstetric, gynecological departments.
- Delivery rooms.
- Outpatient (obstetric).
- Operating theatres.
- Parents’ preparation.
- Aegean College was the first academic institution in Greece to offer a university degree in Midwifery.
- It is the only midwifery programme approved by SEMMA and is based on the 36/2005 European directive and to all applicable laws.
- Students participate to the Aegean Research Centre Research Centre (ARC).
- Students attend national and international scientific conferences and gain valuable experience, and opportunities to develop knowledge, and skills and to build a communication network with the scientific and professional field.
- Academic staff members are distinguished scientists and professional midwives with huge field experience.
The programme is regularly updated in order to reflect the latest knowledge in midwifery and obstetrics.
Our graduates with a BSc (Hons) in Midwifery (Applied) have the necessary knowledge and skills to work professionally in all areas of obstetrics.
Can provide services in a variety of workplaces in the private and the public sector (maternity wards, Hospitals, Clinics, etc.), as well as to work as freelancers with recognized professional rights.